Celebrating English Wine Week 2017
English Wine Week: Saturday 27th May – Sunday 4th June 2017
We are proud to be a member of the United Kingdom Vineyards Association (UKVA) and work closely with many vineyards in the South of England.
This week we are celebrating English Wine Week which helps to raise awareness of our brilliant wine industry. To mark the occasion, here are five interesting facts that you may not have known about English wine:
- There are now over 500 vineyards and 130 wineries in England and Wales producing on average 5 million bottles per year
- Sparkling wine accounts for nearly 2/3 of the wine production in the UK
- Around 5% of all English wine is exported across 5 continents and this figure is expected to increase ten-fold by 2020
- UK wine is generally classified as either ‘English wine’or ‘Welsh wine’ which refers to its actual place of origin. The term ‘British wine’ is used for fermented grape juice or concentrate that can originate from anywhere in the world – so always read the label!
- In the last 16 years, English sparkling wines have won 9 Trophies for Best International Sparkling Wine and 6 Trophies for Best Sparkling Rose in Global Competitions (up to and including 2015 – final 2016 results yet to be confirmed.)
At MHA Carpenter Box we pride ourselves on being at the forefront of the UK wine industry and have a sector team who provide specialist business and tax advice to help Vineyards grow. If you would like an informal chat about your Vineyard or Winery, please get in touch with our team on 01903 234094.