Celebrating English Wine Week 2018!
Think English…Drink English!
This week at MHA Carpenter Box we are marking English Wine Week, which runs from Saturday 26th May to Sunday 3rd June.
English Wine Week takes place nationally and is designed to raise awareness of English wine across the country. There are a wide range of activities taking place across the week, involving both retail and leisure outlets as well as the vineyards themselves. You can find an event local to you on the English Wine Week website.
John Billings who heads our Vineyards team was also delighted to attend the launch of the new Ridgeview branding at The Savoy in London. The packaging looks fantastic, with a contemporary English design, incorporating the brand’s ethos ‘Life is for Celebrating’.
6 wine industry statistics
Between February and March Wines of Great Britain (WineGB) conducted a trade survey amongst vineyards and wineries across the United Kingdom. The results demonstrate how rapidly the industry is growing and provided some interesting statistics:
- Sales grew by 31% between 2015 and 2017
- There are 6,200 acres under vine: 1 million vines were planted in 2017 and an estimated 1.5 to 1.7 million will be planted in 2018
- Sparkling wine accounted for approximately 68% of wine produced in 2017
- 5.9m bottles were produced in 2017: it is estimated that by 2040 the UK’s wine industry could be selling 40 million bottles with a retail value of £1bn or more.
- 2,100 people work in the industry: this could grow to approximately 30,000 by 2040
- Potential UK exports in 2040 could be in the region of £350 million
At MHA Carpenter Box we are proud to be a Silver Patron of WineGB and work closely with many vineyards across the South of England. If you would like an informal chat about your Vineyard or Winery business, please get in touch with a member of our Vineyard team on 01903 234094.