Hiring staff from outside the UK and Ireland

From 1 January 2021, free movement between the UK and EU will end and the UK will be introducing a points-based immigration system. The new system will introduce job, salary and language requirements that may impact the ability to hire from the EU.

Therefore if a business wants to recruit workers from outside the UK, businesses will need to ensure four key points are in place:

  1. That they are a Home Office licensed sponsor.
  2. The job on offer is at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above / A Level or equivalent.
  3. The job on offer pays at least the required minimum salary level.
  4. That the candidate speaks English to the required standard.

If a business is not already a licensed sponsor and they want to sponsor migrants through the skilled worker route from January 2021, they should apply now. An application to become a licensed sponsor usually takes 8 weeks and if successful, the licence will be valid for 4 years.

Find out more about the new immigrant system on the Gov.UK website.

Hiring EU citizens who already live in the UK

Currently EU citizens have the right to move freely within the EU and the right to reside in any EU Member State. Free movement of workers between the UK and EU will come to an end after the transition period on 1 January 2021 and the UK will be introducing a points based-immigration system.

The points system will not apply to any EU citizens living in the UK before the 31 December 2020, or their family members. They will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before the 30th June 2021.

The government have created an employer toolkit on their website which provides print and digital assets covering the key areas of the EU Settlement Scheme.

Visit our Brexit Hub for more useful resources or contact the tax team at MHA Carpenter Box for further advice.

A version of this blog originally appeared on the website of MHA member firm, MHA Monahans.