WineGB Awards 2019
As WineGB Silver patrons, we were honoured to attend the annual WineGB Awards lunch at Vintners’ Hall on Tuesday. As the leading awards for the UK wine industry, the competition attracts entries from the country’s finest producers and showcases the high calibre of wine produced across Great Britain.
It was another excellent event and it was great to see clients and Sussex based vineyards win trophies and medals.
Trophy winners included:
- Ridgeview won the Best Classic Cuvee NV for their Bloomsbury NV
- Denbies Wine Estate took home the huge McNie Trophy for the Best Blended White Wine for their Ranmore Hill 2017
- Chris Foss of Plumpton Wine won the Lifetime Achievement for his four decades spent devoted to the industry
- Roebuck Estates received the Mike Roberts trophy for the Best Classic Cuvee Vintage
- Chapel Down won the Best Still Bacchus
- Breaky Bottom’s Cuvee Oliver Minkley won the Best Non-Classic Blend trophy
Congratulations to all the trophy winners!
- A total of 39 gold, 53 silver and 124 bronze medals were awarded
- Notable wine writers and broadcasters Susie Barrie MW and Oz Clarke, who headed the judging panel, spoke of how 2018 was a quality year for still wine. In fact, 68% of the 122 medal-winning still wines were from the 2018 harvest.
- Wines across the South East (Kent, Sussex, Surrey) took just under 50% of all medals and just over half of the sparkling wine gold medals
It’s an exciting time for the wine industry and we look forward to another fantastic year!
We are proud to work with Vineyards and Wineries across the South East, helping them to achieve their goals. Get in touch with one of our specialist Vineyard team on 01903 234094 to find out how we can help.