Whether you’re running an international business and looking to establish one in the UK or a UK business thinking of trading abroad, our team of international business and tax specialists have the knowledge and expertise to assist.
Setting up in the UK
We can assist with every aspect of setting up a UK company. We work with you to decide which trading entity and structure is best suited to your needs. We can advise you through all the relevant taxation and legal implications of doing business in the UK, including, where required:
- Advice on the choice of legal structure required
- Formation/registration of UK entity in desired legal structure
- Completion of Companies House filings including appointment of directors
- Provision of Registered office address – this ensures all administrative mail such as those from the tax authorities, comes to us directly
- Registration for Corporation Tax
- Registration for Payroll scheme
- Registration for VAT
- Support and advice during setup and post-setup
- Setup of a compliant workplace pension scheme for auto-enrolment, where there are UK based employees
- Set up of a cloud-based accounting system which can be monitored or administered from overseas; including linkage to UK bank accounts, UK tax authorities and any useful time saving add-ons
- Open a UK bank account – we complete all the forms on your behalf
- Preparation of an employment contracts
- Provide contact details and act as local liaison, if required, to legal adviser
- Provide contact details and act as local liaison, if required, to UK based insurance brokers for the company’s UK insurance needs
- Provide contact details for any other service provider that the company may require
Ongoing UK compliance
- Preparation and filing of quarterly VAT returns
- Preparation and filing of annual financial statements
- Preparation and filing of annual Corporation Tax computation
- Payroll including advising on all tax payments due, annual payroll returns and auto-enrolment pension scheme administration
- Ongoing Company secretarial support for all Companies House filings e.g. Annual Confirmation Statement
- Management accounts
- Provision of draft board minutes approving key decisions
- Corporation tax planning
- Transfer pricing reports
In short, we can be your one-stop-shop provider to help you get your newly established UK company off the ground. We can provide as much or as little support as you require for your back-office finance function to get up and running smoothly and ensuring all UK specific company reporting obligations are met.
International expansion brings many new challenges. Different tax regulations and employment laws are critical and can be a minefield. We can help you confront the numerous tax issues, both domestic and foreign, from double taxation treaties and exchange control regulations to different legal systems and corporate structures.
In many countries, setting up a UK owned subsidiary business can cause unforeseen withholding tax traps. Using our knowledge of double taxation treaties around the world and their interaction with one another, we are able to suggest alternative structures to avoid those traps and ensure the desired flow of funds and profits are possible.
Through our membership of Baker Tilly International we can also introduce you to professional advisers anywhere in the world when specific country local knowledge or compliance matters need to be dealt with.
Our tax team are highly experienced in dealing with the particular needs of people who come to live in the UK from overseas, as well as British citizens who live and work abroad. We advise private individuals and businesses with international interests who want to support their people through the complex process of settling down in a new country.
The taxation of ex-pats can be a complex area and one that should be considered by companies and individuals at an early stage, to avoid unpleasant surprises.
We have seen many companies hit with very large unexpected tax bills where they have not considered these matters early enough.
Through Baker Tilly International we are able to provide accounting, assurance, tax and specialist business advice not just in the UK, but worldwide. We draw on internationally recognised industry and service line experts in 800 offices spread over almost 150 countries, to provide a joined up service.